Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A dog's tale

Hi folks! Mom and Dad said I should do the first blog entry. I don't quite understand what a blog is, since I can't eat it, roll in it or pee on it, but anyway, I can tell you about what we are doing. One day last week (October 1), we drove to Port Henry, where our sailboat usually is. We've done this lots of times before, but this time, my friend Toby (Apollo's Dad) came with us, we unloaded a whole lot of stuff, and before I knew what was happening, he drove away with our car! So we slept on the boat that night, that's OK, we've done that before. Then the next day, a big machine run by Ron (Jake's Dad) lifted up our mast and laid it down on the boat! Hmmmm...Then the next morning, we went for a long ride on the boat. It was a nice day and I rode on top of the coach house, where I had a really good view and soaked up some sunshine. OK, this isn't bad. But it was getting late, almost dark and I was getting hungry and really needed a "shore call." Finally, Dad put the anchor down, pulled the dinghy along side ( I LOVE the dinghy!) and we rowed ashore! Yay!!!! I jumped out and had a great time jumping around in the MUD!!!! Dad was yelling at me, and I couldn't figure out why! I had been on the boat for a long time and this was so much FUN! After a couple of minutes, he made me get back in the boat and we rowed to the other side of the channel. I guess he thought this side would be better. Well, there was lots of mud here too! It was great!! I was having so much fun that I forgot to do my "business." Dad made me get back in the dinghy and we went back to the boat, He didn't seem very happy. I don't know why, a little mud never hurt a dog. Anyway, he stayed in the dinghy for a while cleaning it up and Mom gave me a bath in the cockpit of the big boat. Well, the next morning, I didn't get to go ashore again for another pay time in the mud, instead we went into a big cave that Dad said was a Lock. We were in there a while, and the water got higher, then we went out the other side. We went to the first dock and tied up the boat, then I got to go for a walk on the grass, and take care of all my business. Wow, did I feel better!

We had another long ride the second day, and went through some more locks. I sat in the cockpit and watched, wishing I could get out and run around. Finally, we got to a place called Fort Edward, where we tied up the boat for the night. Great! But the wall was very high and I couldn't jump off the boat. Mom and Dad had to go up a ladder on the wall to get off the boat. I don't climb ladders. But I'm glad Mom and Dad were prepared for this; they pulled out something called a doggie ramp and put it between the boat and the top of the wall. At first I didn't like the idea and didn't want to go up the ramp, but Mom was at the other end with a biscuit (I do like to eat) and finally I dashed up the ramp! Well, that wasn't so bad! Then I could run an jump and play ball and well, do all my "business." After that, I went up and down the ramp like a pro. Maybe I should try out for the circus! Later that evening , while we were having dinner, we heard a familiar voice. We all went outside, and it was Lee and Joanne Mull (Duncan's parents), our boat neighbors from the marina. They work as much on their boat in the spring as Mom and Dad do on ours. We all talked for a while; it was nice to see friends.

Then the next day, not long after we left, we saw a boat sitting in the middle of the canal. It was a sailboat that we had seen last night at Fort Edward, and Mom and Dad had talked a little with the people. Well they were stuck! So we pulled them off! Dad said the other boat was a 44 Jeanneau, not bad that our Tartan 34 could pull them free! Then more locks, with the Jeanneau right behind us all the way. Finally, we got to a place called Lock One Marina, and who was there on the dock but Uncle Larry!! He is a friend of ours, and we went to his house for dinner last year. Well, it seems that Uncle Larry and his brother now own Lock One Marina and we were here to stay for a couple of days so that Uncle Larry could do some work for us. It is a nice place and I could go swimming!! Yay!! We got to use Uncle Larry's truck to do some errands...it was very nice of him, but boy, is his truck noisy!! One night we went to Uncle Larry's house for dinner. That was nice, I got to lie on the living room carpet and take a nap! We were at the marina 3 nights and 2 days, and then it was time to leave. I really didn't want to go, it is a great place for a dog!

We went through one more lock and came to the town dock in Waterford. This is the town where Dad grew up! I remember coming here last summer when we took our trip on the boat. This is a nice place, too! Mom and I took a long walk along the canal, and there are lots of other people here on boats. Some of them have dogs, and I even smelled a cat on one boat! Mom and Dad are getting some "odd jobs" done, whatever that means. They say we are laving tomorrow, that's too bad, I like it here, too. But actually, I have liked it every where we have been so far, so I guess the next place will probably be good, too. I don't know how far we are going or how long we will be living on the boat. When people ask where we are going, Mom and Dad say "south." I don't know where that is. But we have lots of dog food, biscuits, chews and peanut butter, so life is good for this dog!

No comments: